THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

"To Fly Again- Surving the Tailspins of Life"

So I'm reading that book. I borrowed it from Jason's Grandma while they're gone for another week lol- kinda funny, she laughed....we did the same thing with the book this lady first wrote, only I'd left it out there when I started it so she read it meanwhile lol. Anyhow...

If I was writing this about 5 years ago I'd probably bet money most of you would know the name Gracia Burnham when I mentioned it. If you've read me long you'll probably also recognize Rose Hill (RH) when I mention that also- as I went to school there for elem/part of ms growing up and its where my stepparents and siblings live even now. The Burnham family is from there, and after their ordeal it's where Gracia decided to come back to and stay to keep raising her family. Anyhow- the ordeal I'm talking about: Martin and Gracia Burnham were missionaries in the Philippines for years and years. In May of '01 they were kidnapped by the Abu Sayyaf (a militiant terriorist group there) from a short anniversary stay at a resort (a stop along the way as they went to another location for her husband to fill in for another pilot). They spent a year as hostages in the Philippine jungle with these people. Her husband was shot and killed in the final battle between the military and the Abu Sayyaf- an attempt at rescuing them and the other hostages who were still alive. Gracia was shot in the leg in this same battle- but rescued and brought back here to Kansas, where her in-laws had been caring for her children back at their home in RH for that year. Her first book is called "In the Presence of My Enemies"- it was really good. She spoke at the church my friend Carol's Mom works at, and that they attend but we were out of town at the time. If she ever does so again I want to go. She has a really wonderful way with words in books....it would be really interesting to hear her speak in person.

Anyhow...I'm not a non-religious kinda gal. I'm not an overly religious kinda gal either. For the most part I think its a personal thing. Probably b/c I've seen so much of the two faced church people thing- nice and Christian to your face, but not so much behind your back. You know....the people that come rushing up to welcome the newcomers- you know....b/c they're wonderfuly caring Christian people ready to welcome with open arms right? Ha. Or so they'd have you think. In reality they really just want the gossip on who you are and why you're there...and blah blah blah *rolls eyes*. That was the experience we had with the church Jason's Grandparents go to (we used to go with them...)- gossipy hypocritical people who you can't learn jack from b/c you can't open your mouth to ever ask anything. Anyhow- growing up I was raised going to the Baptist church back home with my GM and GD every weekend. Loved it as a child growing up. They ended up with a creepy pastor when I was in about 7th grade and it was downhill from there too. My Grandparents don't attend any longer b/c of things that were said/done back then. My GM has been the secretary to the superintendent of schools for as long as I can remember. They pretty much outright attacked her one Sunday when there was an uproar about sex ed and a video we were shown. Funny because no one who was involved with the church actually had kids in the class lol. My GM and parents sat Mollie and I down asking about what it was and everything, and what our thoughts were- b/c apparently the children the chuch folk talked to were traumatized. We were like "what movie...?"- yeah....it was very traumatic *rolls eyes*. Anyways- my GM obviously has zero control over what our teachers show us in class (which btw we also had to have signed permission slips from our parents to see in the first place so they should have gotten pissy then...)- but the pastor took the opportunity to criticize her for not jumping on the bandwagon to ban this that and the other, and for her standing up for her boss in the situation (because hey, throwing out the superintendent over the health teachers video choice makes sense right? lol) actually in church one Sunday. My point I guess is that people like that are reasons that people these days don't even go to churches anymore. Okay....back to my real point lol;) I don't think I could even tell you the last time I actually busted out my bible for anything *shrugs*. But in the last 24 hours of reading this I have more than I probably ever did actually going to church. Not sure if that's good or not :/ Lol But anyhow...

On the cover of this book, Max Lucado has said about it: "A training manual for anyone seeking to fly above discouraging circumstances." I'm finding that seems really fitting. It's possible to soar and not just survive after life has knocked you down.....That's what the jest behind things are. And you're getting it straight from this woman and applied to their hostage situation of course. But she's also turning it around on you and showing exactly how it can apply to other situations as well. Actually taking a scripture passage and flipping it on you a few different ways- ways that actually make you really really think. At least I think so anyway. I keep reading something new and find myself nodding and going- hello....EXACTLY! Geez *sighs*. Lol. Maybe its just nice to know that others really do understand or that you're not the only person that has felt or thought something- when at the time that's exactly how you felt. It absolutely illustrates the fact that you're never alone, no matter how alone you feel at the time. It's just a really really good book so far. In fact I'm sure I'll finish the rest of it tonight lol- I'm a fast reader....at least if its something good and that I'm interested in.

I guess the interesting part of it is mostly the ways she can apply so many aspects to so many different situations. Everyone has bad times....everyone has tradgedies and hard times to make it through....but the same things apply and help you through those situations, no matter how different they individually are. I've never heard/read anyone put it better. I'll have to write more after I'm actually done lol *shrugs*.

No comments: